Monday 28 March 2011

In a Progressive Key,

Here's a work in progress. I thought that the silk, canvas and thick net (its a plastic-like netting that you can't really see very well in the pictures) were a good mix as they all really contrast each other well. I wanted to base a dress on bugs, as I see them as a manifestation of fear and contamination - two things you wouldn't usually base a dress on. It was an idea that came to me from the silk really, and the idea of making something beautiful out of something repulsive. I think I've involved so many contrasts within this costume as I want to create something that'll provoke reflection and contemplation. Hopefully I will achieve that with the end result!
When I've finished it I hope that the top half of the dress will be covered in silk painted insects, and then I'm going to make some to crawl up the skirt of the dress and look as though they've been trapped in the netting.

I'm thinking about moving the panels around a little bit. I think I might try the bit you see with bugs already painted on as a hood possibly. I like having the huge hip detail on just one side as well, it makes the dress a bit jaunty and unpredictable, like a bug, whilst still looking very feminine and elegant in a way.
I think that canvas and calico are going to be base fabrics for the rest of my costumes, to reflect the 2D work that I've been doing... I'm contemplating doing something with paper as well, but I don't want it to seem like a cliché, so it's going to need a bit more thought yet.
I'm going to finish painting these bugs now!...
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment